Miami has become a (re)insurance hub for Latin America. It hosts the regional headquarters of many (re)insurance carriers and brokers and its current capacity for the region rivals that of the Lloyd’s of London. Miami has also become a preferred destination for Latin American clients that go on roadshows given the language capabilities and cultural affinity with the region.
The AIG Facultative Desk, Latin America underwrites a diversified facultative reinsurance portfolio in Property, Energy & Construction, Casualty, Financial Lines, Marine, Political Violence, and Cyber White Label. Depending on our clients’ needs, the Desk can deploy capacity on behalf of AIG and Talbot Lloyds Syndicate 1183 to reinsurance brokers and insurance companies across Latin America.
The Facultative Marine Assistant Underwriter will collaborate with Territory Managers and other underwriters to target and capture desirable accounts from the most appropriate entry point.
This position is based in Miami, FL and reports into the Regional Marine Product Leader of LAC Facultative Desk.
Your contribution at AIG
As an influencer at AIG, people come to you as a “go-to” source for help and support because of your knowledge and expertise. As a key part of the team, you are capable of driving continual improvement and impacting the way that things get done. Because of your influence, whether direct or indirect, we are able to deliver powerful outcomes for our clients. You balance the needs of multiple stakeholders, making sound decisions using data, analysis, experience, and judgment, along with a risk mindset. Ultimately, you take ownership for key outcomes.
You will be responsible for supporting the Regional Product Leader in the development and administration of the Marine portfolio for the LAC Facultative Desk establishing strategies and objectives for the maintenance of the portfolio as well the underwriting of new business, making part of the regional budget, claims loss ratio and compliance of the internal policies for the healthy growth of the business.
Support the Marine Product Leader in the overall management of the Underwriting of the Marine portfolio.
- The collaborator will identify and analyze all aspects of a risk necessary to underwrite and quote an account,propose terms and conditions, and negotiate Marine coverages and exclusions within the Global Marine appetite and guidelines.
- The analysis of a risk will include review of slip terms and conditions, loss history and using AIG systems and tools for pricing risk, and any other underwriting and administrative tasks.
- Assist Marine Product leader in coverage negotiations, pricing calculations, managing line size & retentions, and underwriting strategy for new and renewal business.
- Prospect new accounts and manage both new & renewal business pipleline and identify cross selling opportunities.
- Assist the Marine Product Leader with forecasting and general portfolio management projects.
- Interacts with Claims Dept, Brokers, Actuarial Dept, Legal, and Compliance.
- Manage the process of producing Marine benchmark and other statistical reports, Loss and Profitability reports, and Key Performance Indicators.
- Develop an deep understanding of all pricing and administrative tools available and their usage for the development of the business under the company guidelines.
- Responsible of applying technology to improve the underwriting and workflow process.
What we are looking for
- College or university degree.
- Reinsurance courses or certifications are desirable.
- A minium of 3 years experience in insurance and preferable Marine.
- Analytic capabilities to underwrite accounts and understand underwriting tool outputs.
- Commercial ability to work with cedents and reinsurance brokers which could provide target accounts to achieve our goals.
- Advanced Spanish language
- Superior problem solving and analytical skills, with the ability to succinctly interpret data for executive review
- Reinsurance market knowledge.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts. Critical and Lateral Thinking.
- Knowledge of Sharepoint and advanced MS Excel/Access. Data Visualization is needed.
- Resourceful and decisive with overall good reasoning ability and high degree of attention to detail.
- Coverage, terms, clauses and wordings understanding and analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and efficiently
- Proactivity, agility and adaptation.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle heavy workloads.
- Good customer skills.