At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That’s why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you’ll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also named by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers for Women and one of America’s Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America’s Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Under limited direction, contributes to the growth and profitability of energy product line through underwriting, marketing and portfolio management. Requires specialist knowledge of technical underwriting of downstream Oil & Gas and Power Generation business. Demonstrates strong analytical, marketing and business development capabilities.
- Underwrites downstream Oil & Gas and Power Generation insurance and reinsurance business within their Underwriting Authority, possibly through electronic methods
- Reports to the Energy Regional Product Line Manager. Selects and prices business by making analytical, data-driven decisions based on the information provided
- Key contributor to development of the business plan based on insights and trends derived from research, and information derived from broker and client interactions and relationships
- Leverages expertise and insights from research and client interactions to advise senior management and leadership on strategy; seen as a “go-to” person for this.
- Works cross-functionally with counterparts in other functions (e.g. Risk Engineering, Claims, Actuarial, Finance, Operations) to achieve objectives
- Key driver and thought leader for product development and refinement based on data insights, research and client interaction; participates/leads in development and execution. Examples: driving ∙ LSM efficiently into an identified desired portfolio opportunity and/or refining existing products by stripping out sub-optimal business from a book.
- Manages own portfolio of clients
- Maintains exceptional market presence based on status as “go-to” and a household name with brokers for the line of business, including established trading relationships with brokers at leadership level.
- Constantly looks to strengthen these relationships, develop new ones to maintain and win business
- Acts as representative for the firm. Advocate for Liberty, seeks cross-selling and promotional opportunities.
- Contributes and participates in team meetings
- Spends a large proportion of time (c. 10%) on designing/providing technical training for Underwriters and Assistant Underwriters (but does not hold direct line management), as well as mentoring.
- Maintains and develops status as demonstrated thought-leader, e.g. by taking appointments on relevant external bodies, appearing on panel discussions, media interviews etc.
- Fulfils compliance requirements of role, escalating where necessary
- Proactively shares technical line of business knowledge and best practice with colleagues across the globe who underwrite for the same line of business
Knowledge Skills & Experience
- Minimum 5 years technical underwriting experience of the on-shore energy classes
- Advanced knowledge of Underwriting and Risk Engineering concepts, practices and procedures
- The ability to effectively interact with Brokers and internal departments
- Ability to travel overseas when necessary
- Strong verbal and communication skills in English & Spanish (Portuguese preferred)
- Ability to collaborate effectively as a team player across departments and geographies;
- Competent negotiation, analytical and decision making capabilities and skills
- Established strategic and marketing capabilities
- IT competency
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification desired – e.g. CPCU or ACII
- Extensive experience within an appropriate underwriting discipline within the insurance industry
Source: Liberty Mutual Miami and LinkedIn