Blue Marble Head of Latin America
Location: Flexible although must be in or near Latin America.
Preferred start date: February 1 , 2019
About Blue Marble
Blue Marble is a startup with a mission of extending socially impactful, commercially viable insurance protection to the underserved. Blue Marble incubates and implements microinsurance solutions that support the economic advancement of underserved populations. Our unique business model brings together nine multinational insurance entities that provide governance, talent and risk capacity.
Blue Marble ventures in Latin America
In Colombia, we are mitigating smallholder coffee farmers’ vulnerability to adverse weather conditions. We launched a pilot microinsurance program in collaboration with Nestlé Nespresso S.A. in Q3 2018. The program is a co-creation of farmers, Nespresso coffee specialists and Blue Marble insurance experts. It provides tailor-made coverage for excess rainfall and drought during the developmental stages in which coffee is most vulnerable to climatic shocks. This protection, which was not previously available in the market, helps smallholder farmers continue to invest in their fields in the aftermath of adverse weather events.
Building on our experience in Colombia, we are working to protect smallholder farmers in other countries across Latin America. We are collaborating with partners in farmers’ value chains to achieve this goal. We are also developing personal lines microinsurance solutions to protect other underserved populations in the region, particularly microentrepreneurs and transnational families. Our strategy is to continue creating novel solutions with our customers, addressing the risks that matter to them and for which the market does not provide suitable protection. Our focus is on microinsurance solutions that create lasting social impact because they facilitate improved access to opportunities for the underserved.
About the role
Reporting to the Global Head of Ventures, the Head of Latin America will lead Blue Marble’s venture portfolio and strategy in Latin America.
As a member of Blue Marble’s global management team, the Head of Latin America will contribute to the development of Blue Marble’s global strategy, involving market-facing ventures in Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America. This individual will also influence the creation of a roadmap for Blue Marble’s technical capability building and harness these capabilities in implementing ventures.
The Head of Latin America will build relationships with stakeholder sin the region as well as lead and develop the Blue Marble Latin America team.
- Manage and lead the growth of Blue Marble’s venture portfolio in Latin America, advancing existing ventures and incubating and implementing new ones through sourcing, developing and executing on opportunities across the region as well as problem solving to address challenges in the markets
- Contribute to the development of Blue Marble’s global strategy, involving market-facing ventures in Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America
- Influence the creation a roadmap for Blue Marble’s technical capability building and harness these capabilities in implementing ventures
- Build strategic partnerships and relationships with a wide range of stakeholders in Latin America, including underserved populations, corporations, NGOs and government entities, to support Blue Marble’s growth in the region
- Refine and execute on Blue Marble’s regional strategy in Latin America
- Lead and develop the Blue Marble Latin America team, including (re)insurance experts from Blue Marble’s nine owner companies
- Advanced degree in business administration, public policy, economics, engineering or related discipline preferred
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience in strategy, operations, finance or business development (background in top-tier consulting and understanding of insurance operations preferred)
- Deep appreciation for financial inclusion
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience building, managing and motivating teams
- Results-driven and self-motivated
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Fluency in English and Spanish (Portuguese also desirable)
- Ability to travel up to 30% of time domestically and internationally
Candidates are encouraged to apply for the position early because applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send your resume and a statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of directors of Blue Marble
Pina Albo, Chief Executive Officer, Hamilton Insurance Group
Raymond Berelowitz, Director of Customer Solutions, Old Mutual
Eduardo Fábrega, Chief Executive Officer, Assa Compañía de Seguros, S.A.
Giovanni Giuliani, Group Chief Strategy, Innovation and Business Development Officer, Zurich
Alexander Moczarski, Chairman, Marsh & McLennan Companies International
Ralph Mucerino, President, Personal Insurance, AIG
Chris O’Kane, Group Chief Executive Officer, Aspen
James Whitelaw, Chief Marketing Officer, TransRe
Chairman Emeritus: Brian Duperreault, Chief Executive Officer, AIG
Blue MarbMicorinsurance LinkedIn webpage