About The Role (Treaty Underwriter)
The Treaty Underwriter will make a positive contribution to Swiss Re’s Property, Latin America business across all three strategic pillars:
- Core business: Underwriting & pricing of proportional and non-proportional treaty business for traditional Property business, according to assigned authority and in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Solutions: Origination, coordination, development and pricing of new insurance & reinsurance products in close collaboration with clients, across the Latin American markets
- Transactions: Identifying client needs with the cross-functional teams to underwrite non-traditional / complex reinsurance solutions and support the deal team in the execution
The Successful Candidate Will
- Represent Swiss Re as a leading reinsurer across the Latin American markets
- Champion a collaborative team spirit and culture of consultative sales, innovative solution creation and smart business origination
- Demonstrates strong understanding of risks selection and underwriting practices (including risk management and industry assessment)
- Utilizes mathematical knowledge to assess risks and calculate the expected loss
- Demonstrates an understanding of contract/policy wording and applies this knowledge to analyze and interpret the structure and contents of (re)insurance contracts, and understands the interaction between such provisions
- Understands and has awareness of property (re-) insurance market trends, risk landscape and regulatory developments that may affect Swiss Re’s property business
- Ensures compliance with underwriting guidelines, as well as structuring and capacity deployment best practices
- Acts as an advisor/consultant to junior UWs in property team
- Establishes profitable relationships with clients, and brings client focus and innovative thinking to cross-functional teams
- Provides product support and services to clients
Training and Development
- Continues to develop his/her underwriting and sales skills
- Participates in peer training
About The Team
The Latin America Property Team is upbeat and passionate about contribution to Swiss Re’s bottom line, while building up proficiencies and enabling growth in traditional reinsurance, transactions and solutions. You will collaborate with client managers, business development, global partnerships, business management, structurers, solutions, cat perils and other colleagues to tackle client’s challenges and create new solutions.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- Minimum 5+ years of insurance/reinsurance experience; primary insurance knowledge is a plus
- Experience in structured reinsurance solutions is highly desirable
- Strong mathematical skills; analytical approach, problem recognition and solving skills
- Strong computer and software usage skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills as well as presentation skills
- Teammate who lives Swiss Re’s Leadership & Personal Imperatives and encourages others through passion and dedication
- Innovative and creative
- Strong Consultative sales skills
- Proficient in English and Spanish
- Ability to travel
Swiss Re is an equal opportunity employer. It is our practice to recruit, hire and promote without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientations, marital status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Decisions on employment are solely based on an individual’s qualifications for the position being filled.
During the recruitment process, reasonable accommodations for disabilities are available upon request. If contacted for an interview, please inform the Recruiter/HR Professional of the accommodation needed.
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of our 15,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
Reference Code: 93416